Now, Google Analytics is the most extensively used web analytics service on the Internet. It is mainly used for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and marketing purposes. Google Analytics tool generates a complete report about your website's traffic and traffic sources. It also assesses sales and alterations. By integrating this tool to your website, you can get reports on your website visitors. (You can get reports on how many people visit your website on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, which page they visit most and more…). In order to integrate Google Analytics to your website, first, you need to obtain your "Google Analytics Tracking ID" and "Google Webmaster Verification Code" and then put these codes in the corresponding fields in the CMS.
Note: By default, your website is blocked from search engines by using Robots.txt and Meta tag Robots. So, first, you need to unblock your site by removing the Robots.txt from the CMS to allow Google Analytics and Sitemap crawling your website. To know how to unblock your website click here.
How to Get Google Analytics Tracking ID
- The first step to integrate Google Analytics to your website is to sign up for Google Analytics. For this, you must have a Gmail
- Please visit http://www.google.com/analytics to create your account.
- After creating your account in Google Analytics, Click on “Admin”
- Under Admin, click on “Create Account”
- Click on “Website” (If you wish to integrate Google Analytics to Mobile App, you need to click on "Mobile App" and then need to click on "Connect App")
- Type your “Account Name”
- Type your “Website Name”
- Select “http” or “https” and type your Website URL
- Under “Industry Category” select the category of your business
- Under “Reporting Timing Zone” select your country.
- Scroll down and click on “Get Tracking ID”
- You will see the Tracking ID. You need to copy the tracking ID and paste it in the “Google Analytics Tracking ID” field of the CMS
How to Obtain Google Webmaster Verification Code
You need to create your Google Webmaster Account to get the “Google Webmaster Verification Code”. Please visit https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools to create your account.
- Login to your Google Webmaster account
- Type your website URL in the “Site URL” field
- Click on “ADD PROPERTY” (See Below Screenshot)
- In next page, select “HTML tag” (See Below Screenshot)
- Copy the “Google Webmaster Verification Code” (Only copy the portion which is highlighted in red. See below screenshot)
Integrating Google Analytics to Your Website
Once you obtained your Google Analytics Tracking ID and Google Webmaster Verification Code,
- Go to “Marketing "-->"Advanced” in the CMS
- Under Advanced Settings, type your “Google Analytics Tracking ID” which you have already obtained, in the corresponding field. (See Below Screenshot)
- Type your “Google Webmaster Verification Code” which you have already obtained, in the corresponding field
- The Sitemap will be automatically generated. Click on the sitemap URl (e.g. http://yoursitename.com.sitemap.xml) to view your Sitemap. The sitemap will be changed if you add/delete any page to your store.
- In the Robot txt field, you can type the URL of the particular page if you want to block it from search engines. (If you type your website URL in this field then Google bots will not crawl your website and it will not be indexed by Google)
- Click on “Update” to complete the process
When you SIGN IN to Google Analytics (http://www.google.com/analytics) you will be able see all your website traffic reports.
Related Help Article: Verifying Google Webmaster Tools Account Using Google Analytics