With Playout, you can give a Live TV like experience to your users. Your users can watch the content those are scheduled in different time slots by selecting various channels. You can create different channels and add content from your Content Library to these channels in different time slots. The content added to the Playout will be played automatically in different channels in different time slots just like linear TV.
Note: No monetization plan will be applicable to the content added to Playout. Any user can watch the content for free which are added to the Playout.
To start using the Playout feature, first you need to activate it from Marketplace.
- To activate the Playout feature, go to “Marketplace” --> “Manage Apps” in your CMS.
- Then click on “Activate” under Playout.
- When asked for confirmation, click on “Yes”.
Once the Playout feature is activated you can see it under the main menu of CMS.
Adding Playout to Website Menu
- To add Playout to main menu of your website, go to "Website" -->"Menu" in your CMS
- Under "Set the Main Menu" click on "Apps" (See Below Screenshot)
- Select "Playout"
- Click on "Add to Men
- You can see Playout in main menu of your website
Note: Currently, we support Playout only in Modern, Traditional and Classic Template.
Adding Playout to Roku App
- To add Playout to Roku App, go to "Mobile & TV Apps" --> "Menu" in the CMS
- Under "Set the Main Menu", click on "Apps"
- Select the checkbox for "Playout"
- Click on "Add to Menu"
- When users open their Roku App, they will see the Playout option. (See Below Screenshot)
How to Add Channel
- To add a new channel, go to "Playout" -->"Scheduler" in the CMS.
- On the right-hand side, click on "Add Channels" button.
- Type the channel name in the "Channel Name" field.
- Click on "Select Channel Logo" to select a logo for your new channel.
- Finally, click on "Add"
- New channel will be added. You can view it in the channel list on the top left-hand side of the scheduler.
You can easily delete or edit (change name and/or logo) existing channels.
- Go to "Playout" -->"Manage Channels" in the CMS.
- You will see all the channel list
- Here, you can also add a new channel. To add a new channel, click on "Add Channel" and follow the steps to add channel mentioned above.
- To Edit a particular channel, click on the Edit icon.
- A window will popup, where you can edit the channel information (i.e. Name and/or logo)
- To Delete a channel, click on the delete icon.
- A window will pop up with “Yes” and ‘Cancel” option. Click on “Yes” to delete the channel.
- You will get a confirmation message that channel deleted successfully. Click on "OK"
Note: If you have already added content to a specific channel, then the content associated with the channel will also be deleted when you delete that specific channel. However, the content will remain intact in your content library.
Selecting Time Zone
You can select a particular time zone for your Live TV viewers. Select the preferred time zone from the drop down list (See Below Screenshot). It will be the default time zone for all your Live TV viewers.
Note: If you will change the time zone then all the content schedules on the time slot will be changed according to the new time zone.
Adding Content to Playout
Before adding content to Playout Time Slot, make sure that you have content in the Content Library page of your CMS. If there is no content in the Content Library page, then you have to first add content to that page.
Note: Currently, we do not support any third party content (YouTube, Vimeo, Daily Motion) and live streaming content in Playout.
- To add content to a particular channel, select the channel from the drop down list. (See Below Screenshot).
- Then you need to select the date on which you want to add content to the Time Slot from the calendar. (See Below Screenshot)
- Click on any part of the Time Slot to add content. (See Below Screenshot)
When you click on any part of the Time Slot, a window will pop up. (See Below Screenshot)
- Type the name of the content in the “Search Bar” and then select the content you want to add.
- Choose the “Start Date” from the calendar
- Select the “Start Time” from the time table
- “End Time” cannot be set as it depends on the length of the content
- Select the check boxes “Repeat this Event” if you want the event to be repeated on every week on the same time or once in a day.
- Select the "End Date" if you want to stop the event repeating after a specific date. You can select "Never" if you want the event to be repeated forever.
- Click on “Add” to add the content
- You will get a message that "Event Added Successfully ". Then, click on "Ok"
Editing Content in Playout
You can edit a content of a particular time slot. You can replace the content with a new content and/or you can change the start date and time.
- To edit a content, click on Playout in CMS
- Click on the content you want to delete in the Time Slot
- To replace the content, type new content name on the content search bar
- Change date from the calendar
- Change Start Time and/or Start Date
- Finally, click on “Save”.
- You will get a message that "Event Updated Successfully ". Then, click on "Ok"
Deleting Content from Playout
You can delete a particular content from the Playout Time Slot.
- To delete a content, click on Playout in the CMS
- Click on the content you want to delete in the Time Slot
- Click on “Delete”
- When asked for confirmation, click on “Yes” to delete the content.
- You will get a message that "Event Deleted Successfully ". Then, click on "Ok
Note: If you have selected the option to repeat the content on every week or every day, then you will be prompted to delete "Recurring Events".
Adding Screensaver Image
If you have no content for a particular time slot or there is a time gap between two programs, then instead of showing a blank screen to your viewers you can add a screensaver image. So, when your viewers open Playout and there is no program or show running at that time, they can see this image. You can also add customized image where you can provide information about the next show to your viewers.
To add the Screensaver image, below the “Calendar” of Playout, click on “Update”. Select an image from your computer.
Click on the “Preview Guide” button to see how your Playout will look on the front end or how your subscribers/viewers will see it. (See Below Screenshot)
This is how the front end looks.
- Scroll channels by using the vertical scroll bar.
- You can view the next and previous scheduled programs by clicking on the right and left arrow button.
- The channel which is playing the content is highlighted in red color.
- You can also see the details about the program currently playing on the channel on the right hand side of the player.
- Click on any program to view it's details on the right hand side of the player.
- The user can play the content from the guide screen itself.
- If the viewer so wishes he/she can maximize the player into a full screen mode.