Live streaming holds immense power to create quality engagement in 2023. The year of innovations is all about focusing on easily operable and result-worthy nature of live streaming. Since live streaming has made it the most favorable for both broadcasters and audiences.
You must be wondering what the technology behind live streaming is and how it operates. A live streaming encoder is a technology behind the screen that makes streaming reachable to a global audience base.
In this blog, we are going to discuss what a live streaming encoder is, its functionality, and the top live stream encoder software solutions.
What is an encoder?
Encoder software converts raw video files into digital files of different formats suitable for being played on streaming platforms. Most of the time, people have misconceptions about the functionality of encoders and transcoders. Transcoders do not convert video files into different formats. Instead, they compress large video files so that users can easily stream them on their devices without even downloading them.
Live streaming demands encoders that are capable of processing the video feed at the same time when it is streamed. Encoders are available in both hardware and software. Hardware encoders allow broadcasters to stream live directly from HDMI cameras. Connect the HD camera with a stable internet connection, and you are ready to go live. Professional broadcasters prefer hardware encoders. The reason why broadcasters at the beginner or mid level prefer to work with encoder software is its pricing.
Live streaming encoders are easy to use and require zero maintenance, making them the top choice among live streaming broadcasters.
Now let’s have a look at some top performing live streaming encoder solutions-
The top 3 live streaming encoder software-
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio –
OBS Studio is the best choice for broadcasters looking for open-source live streaming encoder software. OBS Studio supports Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
Its user-friendly UI and easy-to-operate nature help broadcasters to stream their live sessions effortlessly with maximum efficiency.
- Intuitive audio mixer
- Real time video/audio recording and broadcasting
- Scene preview
- HLS live streaming
- Multi-screen recording
- Support hotkeys and chroma key
- Branding and personalization
- User-friendly UI
- Frequent updates
- Streaming setup takes time.
- No option to upload audio file.
As it is an open-source encoder software, anyone can access it for free.
vMix live streaming encoder solution supports end-to-end streaming activity starting from video production to encoding and streaming. This encoder supports all the broadcasting tools that are needed to handle streaming activity, along with inputs like webcams, cameras, storage cards, DVDs, sound cards, etc.
- Live mixing
- Live streaming of SD, full HD, and 4K video sources
- Professional HD production
- Real-time chroma key
- Instant replay
- Web browser input
- Latest features
- A wide range of inputs is supported
- A bit complex to use
- It only supports Windows 10
Basic HD- USD 60
HD- $350 USD
PRO- $1200 USD
MAX-$50 USD per month
Live streaming encoder Wirecast is compatible with various video streaming platforms, which can be one of many reasons why it is a popular pick among broadcasters. Wirecast has partnered with Akamai, BOX CAST, MAGEWELL, Microsoft Azure, dacast, Wowza, and many others for dynamic availability.
Wirecast supports live video compositing via layers architecture, picture-in-picture composition, live switching, audio delay, and many other elements.
Wirecast comes in 2 different versions: Wirecast Studio and Wirecast pro.
- Multi-bitrate streaming
- Stock media library
- Built-in graphics and subtitles
- Custom playlists and transitions
- Social media integration
- Audio mixer
- Unlimited destination outputs
- Conferencing & remote production
- It enables editing during live streaming
- It covers a wide range of video resolutions and bitrates.
- User-friendly UI
- compatible with the majority of operating systems
- Very expensive.
- Even if you pay $599 for the studio version, you don’t get access to all the features.
Wirecast comes with two versions:
- Wirecast studio- Costs $599
- Wirecast Pro- Costs $799
- The success of live streaming depends on the performance of the live streaming encoder employed. There are many encoder solutions available with different professional services.
- Hardware encoders are helpful towards the betterment of streaming quality, and software encoders help broadcasters host smooth and cost-effective live streaming.
- It is always best to choose live streaming encoder software based on your business requirements and streaming goals.
For seamless live streaming, Muvi Live supports OBS Studio integration and a host of popular streaming encoders like vMix, Wirecast, and others.
Muvi Live gives broadcasters the ability to perform live webcast, adaptive streaming, multi-bitrate HD encoding, multi-CDN, and much more.
To explore more of Muvi Live’s offerings, you can take a 14-day free trial of Muvi Live CRM and experience the expertise of an all-in-one professional OTT platform.