The need to move to a more software-centric platform for broadcasters has never been greater. With the rapid proliferation of VoD services, broadcasters have come under tremendous pressure to transform their services into a more agile, flexible, technology-friendly, and cost-effective one. This is the reason why broadcasters have started adopting cloud playout solutions to launch their live TV channels across OTT platforms.
What is a Cloud Playout Solution?
Traditionally, playout is a term in broadcasting that refers to the transmission of radio or TV channels produced by a broadcaster into terrestrial networks that helps in delivering content to the viewers.
A cloud-based playout solution is a virtual interface that automates both live & on-demand content ingestion, media asset management, scheduling, encoding, and cross-platform delivery in a complete cloud setup. It receives a playlist from your media library, ingests live feeds, downloads media assets and graphics from storage, and plays out the channels on the web, mobile, and connected TVs seamlessly.
With the help of Muvi Playout, you can launch and run your very own LIVE TV Channel and distribute it digitally across your own branded platforms like websites, mobile apps (iOS and Android), and smart TV apps (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, and Android TV) instantly!
Why Should Businesses Adopt Cloud-based Playout Solutions?
In the wake of the OTT traffic surge and rapidly changing content consumption dynamics, broadcasters need to seriously revamp their traditional hardware-based TV playout model to a more digitized and technology-friendly version for easy scaling and consistent delivery of secure video. A hardware TV playout system with its purpose-built systems for each channel is inept in terms of speed, cost, or flexibility.
As the business environment becomes more complex and challenging, broadcasters have a greater need to adapt and be flexible. To achieve this flexibility and easy scalability, Cloud-based playout video solutions are gradually picking up steam. By using cloud playout solutions, media companies and OTT channel providers can launch their TV-like “pop-up channels” faster, and deliver content more efficiently.
Key Benefits of a Cloud Playout Solution
1. Instant deployability– The best thing about using a cloud playout solution is the almost instant go-to-market. You can spin up services in a matter of minutes. Broadcasters can easily create a new channel or adapt an already existing one with a minimized lead time, making it easier to implement changes and react to market conditions.
2. Infinite Scalability– Another advantage of a cloud-based playout solution is the ability to scale- you scale services according to market needs and changing business plans. For example, the cloud enables broadcasters to easily set up a new channel and test its viability before contracting on-premises services.
3. Opex Model– The fact that you can scale according to your capacity works as a purely OpEx model- that means you can easily test a new market and then take it down again just as quickly, without a huge financial penalty. Media companies can launch new services quickly and pay based on a flexible OpEx business model vs. making significant upfront investments in infrastructure.
4. Transparent Workflow– A cloud computing environment makes it possible for the customer to have increased transparency and involvement in their operational workflow. Broadcasters can simply access playout workflows via web browsers from anywhere in the world. Just a stable internet connection is all that is needed.
5. Delivering Tailored Content– A cloud playout scores high in terms of delivering customized content and implementing ad replacement. Nowadays, viewers like watching personalized content—with cloud playout, broadcasters can address the growing demand for tailored content, by delivering personalized programming and advertising that appeals to the viewers’ interests and geographical location.
Why Use Muvi Playout?
Built in the cloud, Muvi Playout allows you to create multiple live channels from your existing on-demand content and stream across a variety of platforms like web, mobile, and TVs to millions of viewers instantly. All you have to do is to select the video you want to schedule, choose the time slot, and hit the play button.
With Muvi Playout, you can schedule your on-demand videos to be played on a specific time and create a 24×7 program schedule for your Channel just like a regular Linear TV. From bulk upload, real-time transcoding to subtitling and caption support, Muvi Playout works as a holistic playout solution for delivering frame-accurate live and on-demand video across all platforms.
To explore more about Muvi Playout, take a 14-day Free Trial!