Most amateur video creators deploy ads as the most easy and effective monetization option to earn revenue from streaming. However, inserting ads into your content can interrupt the viewing experience. This emphasizes the need for exploring other video monetization techniques as well.
Streaming through a pay-per-view video platform provides an alternative method to generate revenue from your exclusive content and also provides a more enjoyable user experience. This blog compares the best PPV video hosting platforms for 2022. Let’s have a look.
What is Pay Per View Video Streaming?
As the name suggests, pay-per-view- video streaming, which is also known as transactional video on demand (TVOD), is a monetization technique whereby users can access premium content by paying a fee. You either allow them to rent the content for a fixed time or provide lifetime access to the content.
This monetization model is used by various OTT platforms and content creators as it has quite a number of advantages.
- For starters, it offers you an alternative to ad-based revenue. In this way, you can ensure a seamless viewing experience that isn’t disrupted by irrelevant ads
- You can use the pay-per-view model to monetize both live and on-demand videos
- It allows you to charge extra for exclusive content available only on your platform.
- Also, PPV is an excellent way of letting a user get the hang of your OTT platform before they decide to get on a paid subscription.
What is Pay Per View Video Hosting?
Pay-per-view video hosting is a procedure where a professional OTT service provider provides you with TVoD or PPV monetization capabilities. This basically means that through the support of video hosting platforms like Muvi, you can monetize your premium content through the PPV model.
Please note that all video hosting platforms do not provide this particular monetization model. Investing in free video hosting platforms like YouTube will not serve your purpose as it is not equipped with pay-per-view hosting tools.
Professional OTT platforms providing TVoD service range anything from less than $100/month to more than $1500/month. The kind of platform you choose will depend on your streaming requirements, and your budget.
Muvi Flex is a video hosting platform that provides pay-per-view hosting support whereby it is extremely simple to set up TVOD monetization in a few simple clicks. The platform also supports AVOD and SVOD, giving you the flexibility to modify your monetization strategy if you deem it fit.
Comparing the Best Pay Per View Video Hosting Platforms
We have made a detailed research of top video platforms on the market and pulled out the ones that support pay-per-view streaming. Let’s take a look at some of the best pay-per-view streaming services:
1. Muvi Flex
Muvi Flex is an excellent choice for Pay Per View video hosting. Our platform lets you monetize video and audio content on Transactional (TVOD) / Pay per View model (PPV) as well as Rental Models. You could restrict access to your exclusive content by the number of views or number of hours or both. Choose to set up TVOD/PPV for an entire TV Series or individual seasons, according to your preferences- the choice is entirely yours.
In addition to pay-per-view, Muvi Flex supports multiple monetization models like ad-based and subscription-based advertising, coupons and crowdfunding and donations as well. This gives broadcasters some flexibility in their monetization options. You can also use a hybrid model that uses multiple monetization options in a single bundle.
Aside from monetization flexibility, Muvi Flex uses a robust HTML5 video player that is cross device compatible and can easily be embedded to any website or app. Muvi FLex also partners with leading CDN and DRM providers ensuring lag-free and secure streaming for that ultimate viewing experience for your customers
Also Read: Video Monetization Options- What to Choose?
Muvi Flex has a three-tier pricing plan policy:
1. Standard plan-$199/month (+ infra fees), allows 2000 concurrent viewers, 1TB each of bandwidth and storage, and DRM fee of $0.01 per view
2. Professional plan-$899/month (+ infra fees), allows 10,00 concurrent viewers, 2TB each of bandwidth and storage. This plan includes Standard + Alie Recommendation Engine & Other Premium Features
3. Enterprise plan-$2899/month (+ infra fees), allows unlimited concurrent viewers, 5TB each of bandwidth and storage. This plan includes Professional + Dedicated Server + Enterprise Support
Dacast is a leading platform offering a reliable pay-per-view platform. Dacast uses a secure paywall that is built into the video player.
Apart from pay per view streaming, Dacast also provides other monetization models like ad-based streaming and subscriptions. You can also opt for a hybrid model if you are using the Dacast platform.
Here’s a look at the Dacast pricing plan:
- Starter: $39/month (billed annually); with 1,000 TB of bandwidth and 50 GB of storage per month
- Event: $63/month (or $750/year); with 6 TB of bandwidth upfront, 50 GB of storage
- Scale: $188/month (billed annually); includes 24 TB of bandwidth per year, with 1 TB of storage; monetization paywall, an M3U8 online player for live channels
- Custom: Custom-priced; designed for enterprises with high-volume streaming needs
Kaltura is a customizable video content management platform. That means that you can integrate programs that support pay-per-view and other monetization methods to build a pay-per-view video hosting platform of your own.
Kaltura uses a credit-based pricing system. The free trial consists of $200 credit for 2 months. Kaltura’s pricing package works like this- customers buy credits for bandwidth and access to exclusive features and integrations. Price per credit is reduced when you buy in bulk, but there is also the option to pay as you go.
4. Vimeo OTT
Vimeo is another player in the video streaming industry. Vimeo, after having acquired Livestream in 2017, now offers premium plans including PPV monetization. Vimeo also uses an HTML5 video player, so it is fully capable of all-device streaming.
Vimeo offers basic video hosting plans that include:
- Basic: 30-day free trial
- Plus: $7 per month including 5GB/week or 250GB every year
- Pro: $20 per month including 20GB/week or 1TB every year
- Premium: $75 per month including unlimited live streaming with 7TB of storage
- Enterprise: Custom-priced including custom-built plans
Pay-per-view video hosting is a valuable option if used in the correct way for broadcasters who want to monetize their premium video content.
Muvi Flex offers pay-per-view video hosting as well as other monetization models to offer maximum monetization flexibility for your OTT business.
To check out our amazing PPV features, we encourage you to take advantage of our 14-day Free trial.