Digitization has had its impact on several sectors for decades and the emergence of online tutoring is one of such outcomes. While online tutoring has grown over the past years owing to its various advantages, the outbreak of the pandemic has given it a major boost making it one of the ‘new normals’ that is going to last for years in the future.
As stated in a recent market report, the global online tutoring market value is expected to grow to US $8.17 billion by the end of 2022 from its US $6.98 billion benchmark in 2021. This explains well why the demand-supply pattern of online tutoring is spiking high around the globe.
Be it individual online tutoring or online tutoring institute – the growth in this sector stands to be prominent even in the coming years. If you are from the educational sector or are planning to become an online tutor, then it is the right time to start and grow your online tutoring business. In this blog, we will guide you through how to become an online tutor in 2022 as well as will cover some basics on online tutoring.
What is Online Tutoring?
Online tutoring refers to the process of teaching online or virtually where the participants include teacher/teachers and student/students. Online tutoring can be one to many where a single tutor teaches a group of students as well as one to one where a single tutor teaches a single student online.
Online tutoring nowadays comes in different forms that include different types of content such as online live streaming content, VOD (Video On Demand), Audio On Demand (AOD), content in written format, and others. With the digital learning sector getting further widespread, online tutoring is no less than an integral part here.
You too can start online tutoring and establish it as a business successfully, by following the below-mentioned steps.
How to Become an Online Tutor in 2022: Steps to Follow
While online tutoring has become more common than ever, only a few ones are on the forefront in this sector. To get off on the right foot and secure your position in this competitive market, it is important to plan right and follow the right steps. Here we have outlined the steps you can follow to become an online tutor in 2022.
1. Decide Your Online Tutoring Model
The first step to online tutoring is – choosing the model or type of online tutoring. Either you can teach online by being a part of any educational institute/organization/online tutoring services or, you can launch your own online tutoring services. There are certain factors to keep in mind while deciding on this, try to figure out the answers to these questions to decide what will be a good fit for you –
- What is your area of expertise?
- Are you going to teach a single subject or a group of subjects?
- What resources are available with you such as study materials or others?
- What is your budget?
- Whether you want to do online tutoring entirely on your own or want to partner with other tutors or want to enroll to teach in any online tutoring institute?
- What is the target audience for your online tutoring services?
- What are the time zones of your audience?
- Will you be providing academic courses or more diverse content?
- Are you willing to hire any in-house team/tutors?
Answering these questions will give you a clear idea on the type of online tutoring business you are going to start and will give you enough transparency to follow the right steps ahead.
2. Choose the Right Technology
As online tutoring is completely virtual, it will require some specific technologies/solutions to start your business. Gone are the days when creating a YouTube channel was enough to start online tutoring.
This sector being highly dynamic has changed drastically over the years. But one constant factor in this is – requirement for a robust technical solution. Depending on the type of content you will be hosting and your online tutoring model, you need to choose the right platform.
Also, you need to keep in mind the form of content. For instance, on-demand and live – both types of content can be required for online tutoring apart from the other format of study materials. Explanatory videos on specific subjects/topics, doubt clearing sessions, and others require on-demand formats to be stored on your platform. Live online classes are also important to connect with your students better.
It is recommended to launch your own branded online tutoring platform that will contain all the study materials/content of different formats. Even if you are teaching for some other online institute, having your own platform will justify your expertise and experience as well as give you a better scope to establish your own identity and business in this sector.
Always opt for a top-notch platform that offers dedicated solutions for the elearning or education sector. Unless you have the proper expertise or in-house technical team, it is better to go for a online tutoring platform provider equipped with some of these must-have features/solutions –
- Provides a compact solution for both on-demand learning and online classes
- Offers competitive solutions for educational webinars, podcasts, and events
- Comes with easy LMS (Learning Management System) integration via API (Application Programming Interface) and SDKs (Software Development Kits) for real-time assignments, powerpoints, tools, and other deliverables. So that you can produce such content with ease and do the related integrations without much complexities
- Offers multiple monetization models to monetize your online tutoring content. It is a very vital part that determines the pricing and revenue models/structure and help you strategize them
- Comes with a dedicated online store where you can sell relevant content such as exclusive/additional study materials, merchandise, and other related materials/content
- Provides robust security and support including multi-DRM security, VPN detection, dynamic watermarking, and 24/7 assistance
- Offers analytics & insights to let you have a clear picture on how your business is doing
Ensuring the above pointers will help you choose the right platform for your online tutoring business. Remember, choosing the right platform will not only help you keep your business running but also in scaling your business easily in future.
3. Launch Your Business
The last and final part of becoming an online tutor is – launching your online tutoring app/website. Always test your online tutoring platform before going live and chalk out the marketing plan at the initial stage so that you can reach out to even a wider audience or new prospects.
Also, don’t forget to keep your content updated and do regular competition/market analysis so that your online tutoring services can be more competitive in nature. Regularly analyzing your business performance, revising and revamping your marketing strategies – these are what you need to practice continuously to keep your business growing.
While online tutoring is a lucrative and easy-to-start business idea, the market is quite crowded. The above guide will help you in launching and running your business successfully even in the strict competitive environment. However, your main focus should be on – content and the online tutoring platform as these two are what will make you stand out from the crowd.
Muvi’s industry-grade elearning solution is what you need to meet all the above-mentioned criteria and launch your online tutoring business through a few button clicks. Take a 14-day free Muvi trial today and start leveraging the growing potential the elearning industry offers (no credit card required)!