Written by: Roshan Dwivedi
According to the latest music consumer insight report published by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry’s (IFPI), there is a rise in the number of music consumers across the world that are listening via licensed audio streaming services.
The survey of internet users aged 16-64 in the world’s leading music markets revealed the following findings:
- 45% are using legal audio streaming services, compared to 37% in 2016.
- 23% are represented by audio streaming.
- 22% represented by free audio streaming.
- Video streaming accounts for 55% of all listening.
- 46% of that total on YouTube.
- 90% of audio streamers listen to music on their smartphone.
- Mexico led the way with 91% of all consumers using smartphones to listen to audio
- Brazil and South Korea followed with 85% and 80% respectively.
- Italy and Spain followed with 68% and 65%.
- 63% of US respondents listened to music via smartphones.
- 40% of those surveyed listened to music via smartphones in Canada and Japan.
Young audience remained highly engaged with music despite an abundance in other forms of media. 85% 13-15 year olds used streaming services.
Launch an audio or video streaming service instantly with Muvi. Sign up for the 14 day free trial
Add your comment