Mobile VOD service Vuclip conducted a survey in April this year on global video insights across 8,500 users in emerging markets of India, the Middle East, South East Asia and Africa. On the Vuclip platform, movies and TV shows account for 80% of the international content consumed. However, in India, 78% of its users prefer watching content in their native languages. Hindi videos account for over 40% of viewership traffic in India, followed by Tamil at 8%, Telugu at 6%, Bengali and Marathi at 4% each.
India specific stats:
- 80% of the respondents voted for a single OTT app for finding regional and international video content.
- 79% of Indian respondents said that they preferred mobile video apps for video discovery via navigation in local languages.
- The top 5 mobile video searches for Hindi were Katrina Kaif, Romantic Songs, Comedy Nights, Shah Rukh Khan and movie trailers. Punjabi users preferred Yo Yo Honey Singh, followed by Jatt and Juliet, Miss Pooja, Punjabi full movies and Punjabi pop songs.
- The top 5 mobile video searches in Bengali were Swastika Mukherjee, Bengali Movies, Bikram Singha, Idiot and Kanamachi; while for Marathi they were Laxmikant Berde Comedy, Hi Porgi Sajuk Tupatali, Retiwala Navara Pahije, Dagadu Shantaram Purab and Mahalaxmichi Aarti.
- For Tamil, they were Uttama Villian, Dulquer Salman, Trisha, Vai Raja Vai and Mental Manadhil. For Telugu, users searched for Pawan Kalyan, Ok Bangaram, Kick 2, Samantha and Bahubali.
- Malayalam users searched for Amala Paul, Chandrettan Evideya Dileep, Bhaskar The Rascal Mammooty, Ennum Epozhum and Mohanlal. Kannada users searched for Ganesh, Shivrajkumar, Jaggi, Vajrakaya and Lucky.
Read the entire story here.