According to a recent 2017 prediction report on how trends and events that will shape OTT video, digital advertising and VR in 2017, it was predicted that OTT video revenues will pass $50 billion in 2017. The report also highlighted following:
Top Ten Digital Media Predictions for 2017
- Brands will re-evaluate the importance of reach.
- Beginning with the upfront, television advertising in the US will start to be bought and sold based upon Total Audience Ratings.
- Digital video will account for a larger part of ad spend. Global digital video ad spend will surpass $20 billion in 2017, accounting for 18 per cent of global digital ad spend.
- While OTT video will garner the hype, traditional television will reap the rewards. In 2017, television revenues (subscription + advertising) will account for 88 per cent of the $192.7 billion television and OTT video market in the US.
- Twitter will be sold.
- Programmatic advertising will become mainstream in Western Europe as digital display programmatic ad spend accounts for nearly half of digital display ad revenue in 2017.
- Live video, especially live video via social networks, will gain a significant audience.
- Driven by the steady growth of SVoD and OTT video ad revenue, global OTT video revenue will surpass $50 billion in 2017.
- Virtual MPVDs will be hot.
- Project Scorpio will launch with VR support.