Although YouTube is a popular video hosting platform, especially for beginners, it’s not a very profitable platform when it comes to content monetization. If you are a video streaming enthusiast and looking for a more professional video hosting and streaming solution, we would advise you NOT to go for YouTube. In the next few minutes, , we’ll explore why an enterprise video hosting platform is better than YouTube. We’ll look at the pros and cons of each approach. So, let’s get started.
YouTube vs Enterprise Video Hosting Platforms
If you are a budding video broadcaster, you might think of YouTube right away for monetizing your video as it’s more popular, easy to open a channel, and most of all- Free! However, if you are concerned about the security of your original videos and want your content to reach out to viewers all across the world- you have to reconsider your original plan and opt for a professional video hosting platform like Muvi.
According to a recent report, the Enterprise Video Market is growing at a fast pace and is worth $25.6 billion by 2025. So, here are a few reasons why you should say goodbye to YouTube and start hosting your videos on a professional video hosting platform:
- YouTube is Not Profitable – The days of actually earning a living from advertising revenues on YouTube are over. The truth is only the creme-de-la-creme or a tiny fraction of the top content creators and vlogger personalities earn some profit on Youtube. For the rest, YouTube isn’t profitable. Also, the lack of monetization options is a huge drawback.
In contrast, professional enterprise platforms let you choose between the three major content monetization methods according to your business requirements: , subscriptions, advertising, and TVoD or pay-per-view.
2. No Branding– A brand speaks for itself and more the branding, more the chance of attracting viewers. With a YouTube channel, there are limited ways to do branding of your business which is a must for an enterprise video platform. However, with an enterprise video platform, you get the advantage of choosing your own domain name (www.yourbrandname.com) instead of using a third party platform where the mention of your brand is always secondary (xyz.com/yourbrand). And when you have a website of your brand name, you will hold better control of your brand. You will be able to decide how you want to portray your brand, what strategies to follow in terms of brand design, monetization, payments, etc.
Muvi provides you the advantage of owning a completely white-label platform with your own domain name and website/app for streaming your live or on-demand videos, without any mention of our brand or logo.
3. Limited control over Content Rights and Piracy– when you publish a video on YouTube, you give away partial rights to your content. Also, if you are worried about the safety of your videos, YouTube is not the best platform as the software for downloading videos from YouTube is easily available on the internet. So, basically you are giving away your exclusive content for free when you could be monetizing them securely on a VoD platform.
4. Ads between Playback– Owing to the fact that YouTube is a free video hosting platform, when viewers watch your video, they encounter ads in between video streams. This kills the overall video streaming experience. Also these ads are tailored to fit the user experience of your viewer and you have no control over the ads displayed. Often these ads may be of your competitors and this distracts your viewers and draws them away from your business content.
5. Blocked in China– Since YouTube is blocked in China, you cannot use it to promote your video content to the Chinese audience.
6. Limited Support– Free video hosting platforms like YouTube entail no customer support whatsoever. This is a major drawback for an enterprise video broadcaster that operates critical live streaming or video campaigns. This is one of the major reasons why you should look for a professional video hosting solution platform that includes 24 X 7 tech support.
Muvi has a dedicated 24x7x365 dedicated support team including skilled developers, engineers, streaming specialists and project managers that work round the clock to guide you with any hiccups you face while streaming.
Why Choose an Enterprise Video Platform?
An enterprise video hosting platform makes the process of encoding, uploading, managing, customizing and delivering video content simple and frictionless so that content owners can spend time to strategize their core objective- to create and engage viewers with exciting content.
Also, enterprises want to attract viewers to their own websites to take advantage of superior profit margins from advertising, subscriptions or pay-per-view. This is not possible in free video hosting sites like YouTube where profit margins are very less.
On the contrary, an enterprise online video platform is equipped with different features to enhance and optimize the viewer’s journey. Let’s look at some of the features that makes enterprise video platforms more desirable than free hosting platforms.
1.Better Security– Undoubtedly, a professional online video platform is equipped with tight security like access control, encrypted streaming, watermarking, password protection, DRM, domain control, etc that protects your exclusive content from the prying eyes of hackers. In contrast, YouTube doesn’t offer these advanced features, which is why it’s best for videos that are created for the public.
Muvi is equipped with security features that help us protect your platform and media assets and your users from various security threats. Muvi’s studio-approved DRM keeps your content insulated even from the mode of piracy that is often considered irrepressible i.e. screen recording.
2. Fast Content Delivery System– For your content to reach maximum viewers, make sure you opt for a video hosting platform that integrates with a robust CDN provider. CDN or Content Delivery Network is a network of different geographically-connected servers situated in different corners of the world used for faster delivery of content to end-users. CDNs help in delivering content fast by reducing buffering, speeding up loading times, and increasing security and redundancy.
We would suggest hosting your videos on an online video platform that uses multi-CDN to deliver content. Now, a multi-CDN is a system where your content is distributed with not one but several CDN providers. This allows routing of your content to the most optimal server located closest to the user requesting it, thus ensuring lower latency and faster delivery of your content.
Muvi provides a multi-CDN integration strategy through which you can effectively deliver high-quality videos to users across the globe, effortlessly. We can configure multiple CDNs like Akamai, Amazon CloudFront, Cloudflare and the like to deliver lightning-fast videos to your users through intelligent cloud-based routing technology.
3. Customization and Branding– Youtube will not give you any customizations or uplift your brand name. In contrast an enterprise video solution would showcase your brand name by incorporating a “white-label” video player that would allow you to incorporate custom branding and colors.
Not only that, an enterprise video hosting solution like Muvi will give you the option of endless customizations– from basic color coordination to complete look and feel, minor tweaks to requesting new features, integration with 3rd party tools to deep rooted API and SDK integrations- the way you like it.
4. Content Monetization– Video monetization is one of the most important features of an enterprise video hosting platform. Professional video platforms have multiple content monetization methods including subscriptions, ad-based and PPV. You can pick the most suitable monetization method based on your business requirements. In contrast this feature is lacking in free hosting platforms like YouTube where monetization is mostly based on ads.
Muvi lets you monetize your content through subscriptions, ads, PPV and even using a unique method like donation monetization! For more information check out Multiple Monetizations.
If you are planning to run your online video business successfully, it’s time to ditch YouTube and invest in an enterprise video hosting platform to begin your broadcasting journey on the right foot.
Take a 14-Day Free Trial to get better clarity!